Video is an electronic medium for the recording, copying, and broadcasting of moving visual images. Use this tag for posts in which the code works with videos.
As video capture and playback varies significantly across platforms, please include a tag with the target OS or platform (e.g., Windows, OSX, Android, Java). Before posting, please also check that your question is on topic.
Video technology was first developed for cathode ray tube (CRT) television systems, but several new technologies for video display devices have since been invented. This tag is for code that manages the display of data representing images that change in sequence so as to give the appearance of realistic motion.
Common digital video codecs (or formats) include:
- CCIR 601 used for broadcast stations
- MPEG-4 good for online distribution of large videos and video recorded to flash memory
- MPEG-2 used for DVDs, Super-VCDs, and many broadcast television formats
- MPEG-1 used for video CDs
- H.264 also known as MPEG-4 Part 10, or as AVC, used for Blu-ray Discs and some broadcast television formats
- Theora used for video on Wikipedia